Thursday, September 6, 2012

The Importance of Catbreaks

Or...Why I Don't Get as Much Done These Days.

This morning I woke up at seven, determined to get to work right away. Today is 'wet food day' so I got up and dished out turkey flavored slop onto two plates and lay down to wait for my husband to finish showering.

Sully (Siamese on the left) arrived, plunking his big purring butt on my pillow and started licking my head. I decided to enjoy his gratitude and fell asleep smiling.

I woke two hours later, irritated with myself for wasting time. I sat up quickly, only to find Freya at the end of the bed, adorably grooming herself. (she's on the right) I settled next to her, just to watch her being her usual cute self.

I might still be there, if it wasn't for the look she gave me. It said, "You're still here? Shouldn't you be writing?"

Whoops...

I find my cats very distracting. I know I'm not the only writer who finds his or herself suddenly unable to work due to our feline friends. 'Cat on the keyboard' is a common excuse. When Sully conquers my desk and explores I stop and observe. When Freya curls into my arms and falls asleep I don't dare disturb her. They force me to stop and 'paws'. (groan)

Honestly, I think it's good for me. I think they'll help me live longer. I used to stuff my days full from the moment I woke to late at night. I once stressed myself into frenzies, trying to pack an entire to-do list into one day, no matter how tired I became.

I feel calmer these days. My heart feels warmer than it ever has in my life. I have so much love for my furbabies.

Plus they inspire me. No really. If it wasn't for them, I wouldn't have had anything to blog about today ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment