Thursday, March 21, 2013

Just 100 words...

Ever get that awful feeling? That you just don't WANT to write? There, I said it, and it was a hard thing to admit. I think it happens to us all at least once, no matter what your occupation. Some days you just don't want to work. Yeah...that.

Winter doesn't agree with me. It makes me want to hide and avoid everyone and everything I love...including my work.

So here's where I tell you about June Faver. She's a writer from Texas. A BUSY writer. She's got a few novels out there now, and do you know why? Because she has a 100 word a day rule. In fact, if you view her Facebook page, she's on day 1293. That means writing 100 words  day...whether you feel like it or not.

I don't remember who said it, but someone quipped that "You can always fix a bad page, but not a blank one." So true.

So I've been adopting that practice.

It doesn't feel like a writer's block. I know what I need to say, but I need to get out of bed, wash walls, do laundry and dishes, market both 'Thoeba' and the upcoming 'Aphrodite's War', answer my e-mail, feed my cats and troll, create new bookmarks, make time for friends and family. Don't forget my role as a paranormal investigator and client care consultant ,  yada, yada. Sometimes it just feels like I don't have the time and I can't seem to get started.

This isn't the last time I heard the 100 word rule, and I'm sure it won't be the last. Because it works.

Imagine your tired, non-enthusiastic self sitting at your computer. Just sitting there. Don't stress out! It's only 100 words...you can always fix it later. Just let go, and do it. Start a sentence. Then another one. Do you know what happens? Sometimes you only write one or two hundred words. Sometimes you find your way back.

Isn't it true that everyone has a bad day in their career? Isn't it true that we all get the occasional 'blahs'? We are in a unique position as writers. WE can change things up. WE are the boss.

I wrote 800 words yesterday, and I'm on my way back. How are you doing?

Photo by: Stuart Miles FreeDigitalPhotos.net

4 comments:

  1. That's an awesome rule, Donna! Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like. I'm finding it pretty effective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Donna! I'm so glad I infected you with my disease...I think it's a mania, actually.
    I started when I had a perfectly horrible job in healthcare, working for even more horrible people. I worked 4-10 hour days and should have been happy to have those 3 days off to write, but by the time Friday pm came, I was depressed, totally blown out and couldn't even recall what I had been writing the previous weekend. I finally girded my figurative loin and made a commitment to write the 100 words a day for 100 days. All I wanted to do was stay in the story I was trying to write. A lot of the words I wrote were not wonderful words, but it was Nora Roberts who said, "You can't edit a blank page." So I got to my 100 days and by then it was a habit, and I'm still going. Check out my Amazon page to see where all this writing has led me. http://www.amazon.com/J.D.-Faver/e/B0050KEWMM/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1
    Sending positive thoughts your way. Please post on my page as to your progress. I'm always here to cheer you on. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much June! Both for sharing your story and for the inspiration. You rock!

    ReplyDelete