Thursday, December 26, 2013

Boxing Day is an Appropriate Name.

Photo by: nuttakit@FreeDigitalPhotos.net
If you're reading this post, you're mostly likely doing the same thing I am. I don't know about you, but I'd rather sit in my brand new pajamas in front of the computer or TV hanging out than brave sweltering crowds inside the malls. It's a great excuse to be lazy and hang out with company you rarely see.

I just don't see the sense in battling for more 'stuff', you know? I got plenty of cool things for Christmas. I think you understand, because you're here, reading this, not there.

This isn't exact history...I learned it from my mother. When I asked my mother why they called the day after Christmas 'Boxing Day' she told me this:

Boxing Day refers to the unofficial ritual we all have of putting away decorations, getting rid of cardboard, wrapping paper and bows, taking out the garbage...Plus boxing up and returning OR re-gifting the things you didn't want.

I told her I thought it was rude to return or re-gift something someone gave you. (I was five.) But I've done it too, damn it :(

Still, I can wait until the next day, or the day after that to scrounge through leftover bows and ribbons to find a few bargains--That's the best time to find discount wrapping paper. (And one year, an artificial Christmas tree with lights for $50!)

But honestly? When I think about 'Boxing day' now that I'm older, I picture something like  this...

Photo by: Ambro@FreeDigitalPhotos.net


2 comments:

  1. Boxing Day is a good idea but mine comes much later, just after the first of the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! There's still deals to be had, right?

      Delete