Thursday, August 16, 2012

Gone but Won't be Forgotten

Gary Larsen March 13,1964-August 12,2012
This is a hard post to write. I don't know where to begin.

I got a phone call Monday morning that shocked me straight to the soft spot in my heart, the one reserved for people like Gary Larsen.

Gary Larsen (Photo at left by Julia Ackerman) was a Paranormal Investigator for Edmonton Paranormal. He had a gentle soul, a massive sweet tooth and a hollow leg. He was 48 years old.

He will be remembered as a quiet person and a  great listener. He loved animals--especially birds, classic rock, and Timbits.

He loved ghosthunting, and the team is suffering a terrible loss.

I actually met Gary at Nait twelve years ago when we both took the Meatcutting course. Everybody there liked him too.

When I was there,  had a dream about him once where I asked him to guard my lunch. (What was I thinking?) When I came back and inquired as to what happened to my sandwich, Gary wiped his mouth with the back of his sleeve and muttered "I mon't moh." around a mouthful of turkey and cheese. I still chuckle when I think about it.

The saying "Only the good die young" applies here. It feels so unfair. Why him? Why this shining example of what people SHOULD be? Do people like Gary spend so much of their personal warmth on others that they don't leave enough for themselves? Is their sole purpose for being here to teach us not to take the people you love for granted? Maybe he reached that pinnacle where there was nothing left for him to learn here--Lessons complete. Time to go home.

Months ago, when I announced I was working on 'Chasing Monsters', Gary asked if he could be in it. I was happy to oblige. It's a promise that gives me as much trepidation as it does comfort.

On the one hand, I worry if I'll get it right. He'll never be able to say "I don't talk like that." or "That doesn't sound like something I would do." I won't ever really know if I nailed his character and he'll never have the chance to read it.

On the other hand, I'm in a unique position to preserve his memory. When I told him he was definitely a character in the novel, I think it made him feel special. Now I can show people all around the world that he really WAS special.

That in itself is a little inspiring. I'm going to listen to Ehren, Linda, Julia and Cathy and write his role with my heart. Someday when I meet him on the other side, he can tell me how he liked it.

In the meantime, Rest in Peace, Gary. We already miss you. Feel free to visit. <3



No comments:

Post a Comment