Thursday, February 28, 2013

Moving Forward

The thing about being an author these days, is necessary marketing of ourselves and our work. Fortunately social media has made this a lot easier.

I have this blog as well as Twitter and Facebook. Now I have an author page:
 http://www.facebook.com/DonnaMilwardAuthor

I'm pretty excited about it. I think it's kinda funny how I spent 2 1/2 years writing this blog, and only have 49 followers, but once I fired up that author page, I had over 60 in two hours. Wild.

So if you're seeing this blog from my new author page for the first time, let me tell you about it.

I started it in September 2010 in order to promote Thoeba BEFORE it came out. I did it in Thoeba's voice, and I chronicled her discoveries here on Earth.

She discovered things like fashion, coffee, credit cards and a vast variety of cuisine. She learned about our holidays and the meal times that went with them. Then she discovered exercise. It was fun for awhile. It was like experiencing everything for the first time, through a fresh set of eyes.

But of course that got old. It's difficult to get excited about everyday things like phones and refrigerators.  Even harder to make them SOUND fascinating. And as the saying goes..."If you didn't enjoy writing it, the reader won't enjoy reading it."

So I started writing as myself. Nothing in particular...just whatever comes to mind that week. Sometimes I'm pondering inspiration, sometimes there's an interview. I just don't want to be bored or boring. Hopefully I'm doing okay on that end.

If you've never been here before, you'll find three pages to your right. One is the Prologue for Thoeba, so you can have a peek at the novel of the same name.

The one titled 'Who is Jim-Thing?" is just a little blurb I wrote after one of my villains made an appearance and took over the blog for a couple of weeks. I chose him after my beta readers expressed a certain affection for him.

My favorite is 'The Sacred Truth'. This is the myth I wrote to tie all my novels together. I'm not writing a series, but this little write-up explains Thoeba and her kind--How they came into existence. Essentially this myth explains the Donna Milward brand.

Soon I will include an excerpt of my upcoming novel, Aphrodite's War to add to these pages, and I hope you'll like it. In the meantime, I'll be here every Thursday. Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment